Written by Ben Howard, AmeriCorps Member placed at the Cape Cod Commission
Here are Ben’s top 10 most memorable service projects so far this year. As you’ll see, he’s enjoyed a wide array of projects that touch upon our four focus areas. There are a variety of ways to plan, facilitate, and participate in these types of projects and more as an AmeriCorps Cape Cod member.
- Mashpee Shellfish Propagation — collecting, measuring and broadcasting.
- Wellfleet Herring Run Invasive species removal. That Asian knotweed was tough, but no match!
- Santuit Pond Bench Installation. The nicest benches I have ever seen!
- Camp Edwards Invasive Removal — Honey Suckle and Autumn Olive removal in the cold – 4 acres – but cold!
- Red Lily Pond Phragmites Removal. Oh, the phragmites!
- WETFest. Will the wizard ever be free of the Rude Dude’s pollution?
- Barnstable Clam Crawl. Running in the sand a la Chariots of Fire.
- Sandwich Dolphin Release. Saving Dolphins, no big deal.
- Barnstable Sea Level Rise App Testing. Crowd-sourced science research on sea level rise!
- Barnstable Holiday Stroll. The Green Ribbon Puppet Show is good for any season!